Brooklyn's Kinda Back Alright!!

 It's been a hot minute since I have been in touch with my readers via blog. If you follow Brooklyn Gilmore on Instagram, then you see my daily posts on stories about what's happening with me these days.  For the last 1.5 years I have been volunteering with Habitat for Humanity putting in construction and financial literacy hours to become a homeowner. 

On April 22, 2023, I moved into my house. I wish I could say that two months later after I have moved in I am settled, and everything is running like a well-oiled machine, but it is not...yet, anyway. I am unpacked with the exception of my office. I am working on organizing and finding storage space for a few things. But, more than that, I have been pioneering my back yard. I say pioneering because there's more weeds than grass and definitely more dirt than weeds. I bought myself a little weed eater and have been educating myself as a DIY-er of sawing down some overgrown, gigantic, stick-me-now-with-goat-head-sticker-weeds.

Growing up in New York, I helped my grandparents mow their lawn on a riding mower. I took for granted how they pioneered their 50 acres of land, and my adolescence helped to maintain a well-manicured yard.  The first round in West Texas, I hand pulled weeds and got stabbed through my gloves by a sticker in my knuckle. It took a good three weeks to work the thorn out. I finally bought a weed eater at the Tractor Supply store for $238.00. And on a Sunday afternoon, I chewed down some shrubbery and gave the grass a slight mohawk that sprung after three weeks of straight rain. And weeds. They breed faster than cats. 

After I chewed on a few weeds for an hour, I had to educate myself via YouTube of how to string the trimmer through the eye hole of the weed eater. Let me just say that is the most frustrating thing in the world! Aligning a piece of wire through an eyehole that my fingers don't have access to. After an hour of persistent prayers, I strung the thing and got back to work. Can't wait until I have to buy string and re-string the entire thing (I say this with sarcasm). Another thing I learned.... don't wear shorts when running the weed eater. I got stuck with two stickers in my shins and when I pulled 'em out and it felt like a push pin was coming out of my shin.  Anyway, I think I am now at the point where I am in maintenance mode with the yard, and I am a happy camper because the yard work definitely gave me a run for my money. 

The other deal on Instagram you might see on my stories are my daily posts of my intense gym workouts. I hired a trainer last November and I have been on this intense workout regimen since. Sadly, she graduates in December with her master's in marine biology and will be leaving me. In the meantime, she is levelling up my fitness with regularly scheduled HIIT classes as I commonly call gym class. I've lost 25 pounds and several inches. I downsized two sizes in shirts and one in shorts. I've made so much progress and there's still much to be done. 

Which brings me to this blog. Brooklyn's Kinda Back Alright! I say kinda because I am working on getting back into the swing of things with consistent writing. A home has definitely provided space for spiritual growth and artistry.  Office 365 is a software phenomenon that I just don't have the patience in learning. As well as self-publishing through Amazon. Formatting is not my strong suit-neither is editing! But, here I am. While I re-publish The Demons In My Lunchbox, I thought, why not make it a book blog also. Because so many of you didn't get a chance to read it to experience Brooklyn Gilmore's journey  (I fired my independent publishing company for its terrible editing and pulled it from Amazon, Barnes & Noble online, and every other bookstore outlet) I think this might be a way to capture some attention--at least for those who are interested in reading a little memoir. 

Additionally, I am drafting the sequel to Demons....better late than never. So, hang in there as BG makes her way back into the blogosphere. Thank you for hangin' with me and happy reading!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just Shelby (2020)

Demon 2: Divorce

The Inevitable Defeat of Mister and Pete (2013) Review