It’s Never Too Late: Make the Next Act of Your Life the Best Act of Your Life

 I only know of Kathie Lee Gifford, like most of you do, as co-host on Live with Regis and Kathie Lee and the Today show with Hoda. As far as knowing her personally, nope, I have never had the privilege of meeting her face-to-face or even at a distance like I did Katie Holmes in Union Square in New York many moons ago. There is a 30 year age difference between Kathie and I. It’s not like we fall in the same generation or even a reason for me care who she is.This woman has been a household name for years, and as a preteen I always looked forward to watching her shenanigans with Reeg on Live with Regis and Kathie Lee when I was home for a holiday, parent/teacher conference, half day, whatever. 

 

I’ve always known that Kathie Lee had a relationship with Jesus. She professed it on TV all the time. She’d talked about her Christian faith and she sewed those seeds of encouragement whenever she was in the spotlight. But, the thing that stuck out to me most is that she didn’t seem to be an uptight Christian (legalistic) who- could- never- be- human and sling around a slang word or be a tad raunchy with her jokes. I did notice, however, that she was always kind. She seemed to portray the perfect balance between nurture versus nature. She crossed me as the type of person who would comfort someone in their pain, but she’s not one you’d want to tick off. 

 

In her latest memoir, It’s Never Too Late: Make the Next Act of your Life the Best Act of Your Life, Kathie shares stories of famous celebrities she had the privilege of working with, interviewing, and the friendships she made along the way in her career. Some were quite shocking, if I am being honest. But, it is only because I, like most of you, know celebrities from the TV in my living room or the iPhone in my hand. I read the smut news that Huffington Post puts out, or if it’s anything remotely intriguing and makes the New York Times, I might take a few minutes to scroll through a story. And, People Magazine (people.com) or Good House Keeping.  If we know anything about media ( and I do because I earned a Master’s Degree in Media Arts), it’s that media frames. Media manipulates situations to create gossip because gossip and sex sell. We, humans, can’t get enough of it, even if it’s a bunch of lies being fed to us through mass communication such as television. We tend to rely on the news that it is presenting us with the all the FACTS and the WHOLE truth. I hate to break it to you, but sensationalism is not news. It’s opinion and media framing made to be on the first page of a popular magazine or above the fold of the front page in print newspaper. Kathie validates the truth when she says, “Never believe what you hear or read about someone. The media is generated by an insatiable lust for power, prestige, and most importantly money.”  She would know since she became the subject of a sweatshop scandal. All allegations were proven to be false. 

 

I was shocked to learn that Kathie is friends with Kris Jenner. It was even more shocking to read that in the ‘70s they prayed together. Or that Kathie Lee is the godmother to Kylie and Kendall. Why you ask? Have you seen Keeping Up with the Kardashians? And then the shock that shook America: Bruce Jenner is Bruce no more, but Caitlyn. Bruce called Kathie and asked her if she hated him because he went under gender re-assignment. Her response: “I don’t hate you. I love you,” she said. “Bruce God created you. You may believe that He made a mistake with you, but God doesn’t make mistakes. We do,” Gifford continues. “Sweetie, He knows you. He sees you. He loves you…whatever you do to your body-whatever changes you make-you can never change the masterpiece you are that He created. He created you in His image. And when you die, as we all will, that body will decay. Ashes to ashes. Dust to dust. But the eternal part of you-your soul-will go on forever. And He will make you perfect. That is the hope of eternal life in Him.” 

 

I got to the last couple of chapters in the book and Kathie revealed that she had been sexually harassed, sexually abused, and date raped. I paused after reading that sentence. Then re-read it again and again. My mind had been blown is a way. Because this God-fearing woman whose net worth is approximately $60 Million, had endured not one act of violence, but three, and mum’s the word. I can’t blame her.  Those are details that’s privileged information. Of course, I couldn’t rest on the fact that I never heard this before so I googled and searched the internet for an interview Kathie Lee might’ve had with some other smut magazine, and she’s consistent with truth. If she wanted to share the details she would have.  But for now for anyone who has endured such violence know that she sees you, she hears you, she feels for you. 

 

The theme that carried me through It’s Never Too Late, was’t dream big, and then chase after those dreams. It’s forgiveness. In whatever situation, circumstance, trial, or tribulation in her personal or professional life, Kathie Lee Gifford has the ability to forgive and live without judgement.

 

What an example to follow. I hope when I die and I go to Heaven that I will be able to meet Kathie and sit at her table and sip on a glass of GIFFT wine with her and share stories with her about my career of being a writer/author of sorts yet being torn to pursue that purpose when the entertainment business is toxic to its core. Oh the conversations we’d have, I am sure. But mostly, finding common ground and sharing how great our God truly is because he is the God Who Sees. 

 

Now go read the dang book then tell me your thoughts. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just Shelby (2020)

Demon 2: Divorce

The Inevitable Defeat of Mister and Pete (2013) Review